Blue's First Year

Dear Friends,

My new life started on October 8, 2016, when my mom came and got me from the shelter. It has been quite a year so I thought I would tell you about it.


Well, to start, there was the whole “worms in my heart” thing. I only had a couple of days of not feeling great but my mom kept me from running around for a few months to make sure I was okay. I didn’t really like being cooped up but I got lots of bones and Kongs and bully sticks to keep me busy.

As far as I am concerned, the less said about my other medical experience this year, the better. They call it being “fixed” but I thought I was perfect like I was so I don’t understand why it had to happen.

It took a little while for my sister India to accept me. We were kept separate at first so that she could get used to me being there. When we were allowed to be together, she mostly ignored me but once I learned that I had to wait for her to put down her bone before I could go get it from her, we would play a fun game where we would switch bones, you know, just to see if the other one had a better bone.


Mom taught me a bunch of other things I am supposed to do and gave me lots of treats when I did them. We started to do something called agility which is super fun. She brought me to an event to see India compete and it looked awesome so I hope I can run around like that one day.

I only got to see India compete once because she got sick and had to stop. Instead, I went to the vet with her when she got her medication. I liked that I got to spend some time with my mom while India got treated, but mom wouldn’t let me go visit the other dogs so there wasn’t much to do but wait around. 

Playing with other dogs is one of my favorite things to do. Well, after chasing rabbits. I have been able to do a lot of things during the past year, but some things weren't very fun. 

India and I were home one day while mom was at work, and this alarm went off and wouldn’t stop. Then it started to get smoky. It was hard to see and breath and I didn’t know what to do. Suddenly, there was a loud bang and the door flew open. Someone wearing a big helmet, a mask and a long coat came in and picked me up. I was scared but it was easier to breath when we got outside. Another scary looking person brought India out and then these not-so-scary people took us for a walk and gave us some water. They looked at India’s collar and saw mom’s phone number so they called her and she came to get us.

18813400_10212745361139316_2973325991302294362_n (1).jpg

We went to the vet to make sure we were okay, and then mom took us for some ice cream. I liked that part. We couldn’t go home (probably because the scary people broke the door) so we stayed with my aunt for a few days which was okay except the bed was really small. Next, we went to another place with a really big bed. I missed my toys, but mom got me some new ones and I still saw rabbits on our walks so it wasn’t so bad.

We started to take shorter walks because India got tired easily. Sometimes mom walked us separately so I got to exercise more but I didn’t like it when she left me alone to walk India. That only lasted a little while because someone came and gave India medicine that made her go to sleep. She must have been really tired because she didn’t wake up.  

We moved from that room to an apartment a few days later. Without India, I am alone more but I also have all of mom’s attention which is great. I am learning more fun agility stuff, and I go to camp three days a week and play with a lot of dogs all day long. There is a dog that lives upstairs, and we go on walks and watch TV with her and her person. She has some really good toys that she lets me play with but she does not share bones like India did.

So that was my year. Some parts were better than others but mom says next year should be even better. 

Yours truly,